Thursday 8 July 2021

Lynch Retelling a Story - How Matariki Came to Be

 The Story of Tanemahuta, Papatuanuku, and Ranginui is a beautiful one - rich with opportunities to use descriptive, and emotive language. 


Art: “Triumph” by Jane Crisp


Your task today is to retell this story - based on what you learnt yesterday from the 

video we watched, and the story you read today 

you will retell the story from a different perspective.


Perspective is the point of view of a character. Instead of telling the story like you are a ”fly on the wall” you are telling the story as if you were that character.


Choose one of these characters to write from the perspective of;


  • Ranginui, or Papatuanuku

  • Tanemahuta

  • Tawhirimatea


What was the world like for me before the separation?


Calm, happy, peaceful, Kind,



How did I feel once the separation happened?


Betrayed,



What kind of emotive, or descriptive words can I use to show how I felt?



Sad, Bad, Upset, Depressed, Emotional, Miserable, down hearted, Unhappy.


BEGIN YOUR WRITING HERE:


Once upon a time some parents named Papatuanuku - earth Mother and Ranginui - sky Father had six sons they were named Tane Mahuta - God of the forest and birds, Tawhirimatea - God of the weather, wind and lightning,Haumiatiketike - God of uncultivated food, Rongomatane - God of Cultivated plants, Tangaroa - God of the sea, Tumatauenga - God of War and Hunting, Ruaumoko - God of Earthquakes.


 Ranginui and I had great deep love for each other, one day we released our arms for a slight adjustment and gave our sons light. Tanemahuta then said we need to separate them so we can have light so plants can grow. Tane had his feet against Ranginui and his shoulders against me. He pushed so hard.  I cried for him to stop but he ignored me. With his strong legs he pushed and pushed and then finally he separated us. 


Today, as Ranginui cries his tears on me, it reminds us both of what we've been through. My pain is visible in the red clays of earth still strained by the blood from the separation.


The fact that Tanemahuta separated I and Ranginui angered his brother Tawhirimatea, unable to bear the pain of us being torn apart. He tore out his eyes, crushing them into pieces, the pieces of tawhirimatea’s eyes blew up into the heavens in the sky.



Each year in the middle of winter the Matariki stars come to the Easteren skies. The stars represent different things Matariki the mother represents - life force or energy, Tupu a nuku the eldest sister represents - friendship, Tupu a rangi represents - importance of sharing and appreciating, Waipuna Rangi represents - kindness, Waiti and waita are twins they represent - support, and last but not least Ururangi she represents - good attitude.

 

THE END



I hope you enjoyed my story I tried my best to play the role as papatuanuku but I really hope you enjoyed reading my story so thank you for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.